Technology has changed the way international educators work with and connect with their students. There has been no other platform in the past 10 years that has had such a transformative effect on international education and the way we communicate as technology and in particular, social media. How can your institution get the most out of social media for communicating with students?
Student mobility is on the rise. A previous Communiqué of the Conference of European Ministers Responsible for Higher Education set a target of at least 20% of those graduating in the European higher education area having participated in a study or training period abroad by 2020. While this aim is very desirable, it does beg the question: What about the remaining 80% of students who may not engage in some kind of physical mobility during their studies?
Technology is changing the way we teach, the way we learn, and the internationalisation of higher education. From the invention of the blackboard in the 1800s to the current-day boom in online open education, technology is driving dramatic change for higher education professionals. In this week-long series of blog posts, we will explore a variety of technological developments that aim to enrich international higher education.
Liability issues have encouraged or, in some cases, forced international educators to draw up crisis management protocols and begin the task of assessing the risks inherent in all their international programmes. No one expects international educators to be lawyers, yet we are increasingly being held responsible for understanding the legal consequences of poor implementation of a crisis management strategy. Are we taking unnecessary risks that could backfire on the health and safety of our faculty, staff and students?
Cross border education extends beyond the mobility of individuals to the movement of programmes and providers across frontiers and the establishment of foreign higher education provision. Countries in the Gulf region, like the United Arab Emirates, are at the forefront of initiatives in transnational education. Needless to say, recent developments and research were one of the hot topics during the recent Going Global Conference in Dubai.
Increasingly, education abroad professionals are being asked to articulate their learning outcomes, design their programmes to realise those outcomes, and provide evidence that these learning outcomes are being realised by their students. One of the most frequently mentioned outcomes is cultural learning, which can take many forms. In this blog we take a look at how cultural learning can be nurtured in a study abroad programme. Continue Reading »
All professionals working in the field of Medical and Health Sciences know that the need to educate future health practitioners to meet the new demands of the global society is prevalent. However, the internationalisation of health care programmes faces many challenges: national restrictions in health care regulations, language barriers, patient safety, national regulations on curricula and examinations etc. So how can we make internationalisation work for Medical and Health Science education?
The Academic Cooperation Association (ACA) held their annual seminar ‘What’s new in Brussels’ last week. I was there with a good crowd of like minded participants from many countries, even from as far away as South Africa. We were all of course hungry for information on the new mobility programme which goes by the working name ‘Erasmus for All’, the new research programme, ‘Horizon 2020’, and the ‘Internationalisation Communication’ strategy. Continue Reading »
Every year thousands of students criss-cross the globe as part of international exchange programmes, but only a tiny percentage of them are students with disabilities. Within the Irish context, less than 1% of students with disabilities engage in student exchange programmes. Why is this? As part of my job at AHEAD, I have engaged with lots of students with disabilities on this issue and the overriding factor is fear, fuelled by a lack of information. “If I study abroad what support will I get? What if things go wrong?”
With the rapid globalisation of business and the advent of increasingly borderless careers, the graduates who will be most employable are those who demonstrate an understanding of the wider world around them and an ability to operate across cultures. Spending a period of time working in another country permits students to develop global employability skills and attributes which they will come to rely on in their future work.