The EAIE Barometer is the only study to map the state of internationalisation in Europe, as viewed by practitioners directly involved in the internationalisation of their institutions.
Period: Spring 2017–Autumn 2018
The EAIE Barometer 2nd edition
The EAIE is developing the second edition of the EAIE Barometer: internationalisation in Europe. This research study aims to map and understand internationalisation of higher education in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). It will cover emerging trends and measure changes in approach over time on a European and national level.
With this study we will provide a valuable resource for practitioners and policy-makers developing and delivering internationalisation at their organisations. It will offer respondents the opportunity to benchmark themselves against others in Europe and their country to support their work in advancing internationalisation.
The EAIE Barometer Advisory group consists of:
- Jos Beelen, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, the Netherlands
- Erik Beerkens, Leiden University, the Netherlands
- Yulia Grinkevich, Higher School of Economics (HSE), Russian Federation
- Sara Lopez-Selga, UPF, Spain
- Mariusz Luterek, University of Warsaw, Poland
- Dana Petrova, DZS, Czech Republic
- Brikena Xhomaqi, Director, LLLPlatform, Belgium
IFF Research, a leading research agency based in the UK, is the EAIE’s research partner for the project.
Next steps: Survey online
The EAIE Barometer survey will be online in October 2017 for professionals working at European higher education institutions (HEIs). The results are expected in September 2018.
The EAIE Barometer 1st edition
Published in 2015, the first EAIE Barometer: Internationalisation in Europe report reveals the state of internationalisation in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) from the perspective of practitioners. In total, 2411 individual internationalisation practitioners from 33 countries took part in the survey. The final report analyses aggregate European level and the national level:
- Reasons for internationalising
- Organisational and strategic planning
- Internationalisation activities
- The impact of institutional, national and European level policies
- Knowledge and skill needs of practitioners
The provides useful insights into developments in the field, actual practices employed by European institutions and tools required for the further professionalisation of internationalisation.
Accessing the report
The 2015 EAIE Barometer report is available in paperback format. Purchase the report now and see where you, your institution and your country stand in relation to others in Europe when it comes to internationalisation!
If you are an EAIE member, you can access the extended version of the free summary in the Resources Library and save 30% on the full publication price.
Watch a recording of the free Barometer EAIE Webinar to find out how the findings can support you in advancing internationalisation.
Tweet about your thoughts on the study using #EAIEBarometer.
- Revealing the state of internationalisation in Europe: the EAIE Barometer results are out
- Top priorities in higher education internationalisation in Europe
- Infographic: Knowledge and skills among internationalisation staff in Central and Eastern Europe
- EAIE Barometer data used in European Parliament report
- The state of internationalisation in the UK
- The state of internationalisation in Italy