A maritime city once central to the industrial landscape of the UK, Liverpool was deeply impacted by deindustrialisation. Today, the city of Liverpool is a thriving cosmopolitan centre with a booming higher education space that attracts international students and educators from all corners of the globe. The EAIE Liverpool 2016 programme is online and, much like our host city, the year’s offerings have been fully re-imagined. We have new interactive session types, engaging networking events, four keynote speakers and even a special track placing ‘Refugees in focus’.
Contrasting old and new, Liverpool is as pretty as it is exciting. The Annual EAIE Conference is taking place in the ultra-modern Arena and Convention Centre Liverpool – or the ACC, as you’ll end up calling it – surrounded by the striking industrial-chic Liverpool Waterfront. You’ll fall for the city in no time, but don’t expect to have much idle time as this year’s programme gives centre-stage to interactivity and knowledge-sharing among participants. In the space of four days, we will have 179 sessions, 22 Networking events, four Plenaries, five Campus tours, 21 Workshops and 32 Poster sessions. But it’s not all in the numbers; there are plenty of new and stimulating things happening this year too!
Five brand new activities
Here are the top five new features of this year’s new conference programme:
- ‘Refugees in focus’ track: following the EAIE Spotlight Seminar in June 2016, there will be an entire 13-session programme on quite possibly the most pressing issue facing European universities today.
- Fishbowl and World café sessions: innovative room set-ups that help to forge collaboration and communication among attendees.
- Life skill sessions: learn to manage your work from professional coaching experts.
- Roundtable discussions for senior international officers: debate the high-level issues that speak to you.
- In-session polling (select sessions only): share your opinion using the state-of-the-art EAIE Events App.
Four days of highlights
Choosing highlights from this year’s programme is quite a feat, but we tried anyway:
- Tuesday 13 September: a day of practical, solution-oriented Workshops and golden networking opportunities during the Campus tours to local higher education institutions.
- Wednesday 14 September: Opening Plenary keynote speaker and award-winning educator Richard Gerver motivates participants to think about the role of creativity in education; the EAIE Exhibition opens its doors; and the ‘Refugees in focus track’ is officially opened with a keynote address by humanitarian expert Kilian Kleinschmidt.
- Thursday 15 September: Lunch-time Plenary keynote speaker and professional coaching genius Heather White teaches participants to capitalise on key contacts – check out her Life skill session on using LinkedIn later that day – and the EAIE Extravaganza dance invites you to run away and join the circus.
- Friday 16 September: Closing Plenary keynote speaker and humanitarian superstar Melissa Fleming takes the stage to inspire participants to consider the plight of refugees in higher education.
Make the most of it
With so much to do and plenty to see, it would be smart to start planning your 2016 EAIE Conference experience now. The complete conference programme, detailing all of the above and so much more, is online. Sign up by 29 June to take advantage of the Early-bird fee and book your hotel deal by 30 July. Become an EAIE member – now possible during the registration process – for an even greater discount. Register today!