Study Abroad and Foreign Student Advisers (SAFSA)
SAFSA is the community for all EAIE members involved in providing services and guidance to foreign students and scholars, advising students about study abroad opportunities, or promoting study abroad programmes at their institutions.
SAFSA members include those who work as international coordinators responsible for students and exchange programmes, study abroad advisers, foreign student advisers, and advisers interested in intercultural communication and quality of advising.
SAFSA’s mission is to ensure the quality and value of international education by facilitating the learning and professional development of all those engaged in providing services and guidance to foreign students and scholars; advising students about study abroad opportunities; and promoting study abroad programmes at their institutions.
SAFSA aims to fulfil its mission by providing opportunities for networking, learning and training in the following areas: enhancing intercultural communication skills; orientation and advising; practical aspects of international programmes; promotion and advocacy of international mobility and quality in advising; methods of developing students’ intercultural competence while studying abroad; and the role of advisors in ensuring that foreign study helps students develop employable skills. SAFSA does this by:
- Organising sessions and workshops at EAIE conferences on mobility, advising and guidance, as well as intercultural skills.
- Organising training courses.
- Creating opportunities for members to network and share experiences and ideas.
- Collaborating with other international groups working within the same field on joint projects.
- Managing a list of resources on cross-cultural adaptation.